Monday, March 30, 2009

Xavier Nady, George McFly from Back to the Future: Separated at Birth?

Whenever I watched a pregame or postgame interview involving Yankees outfielder Xavier Nady, something seemed familiar.



In an odd instance of déjà vu, I was given the notion that I had seen this all before.

After months of pondering, the thought completely slipped from my mind. It was not worth analyzing something so trivial any longer.

Then I met with a few of my friends to watch the cult classic film Back to the Future.

The movie of course starred Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd, but another prominent actor caught my attention.

Crispin Glover, otherwise known as George McFly, gave me that same strange feeling of déjà vu.

Bearing a distinguished family resemblance, Nady and Glover must at worst be distant cousins.



Add a helmet to Glover’s head and shave Nady’s facial growth, and the likeness becomes even more alarming.

Perhaps the similarity also stems from the way the two enunciate their words, particularly the “s” sounds.

Ironically, I was also able to get my hands on Crispin Glover giving a sports report with exclusively baseball updates. It is the perfect tie-in to getting my point across.



If VH1 were to do a Where Are They Now?: Crispin Glover episode, they would not have to look far to find his whereabouts.

Glover is in fact posing as a backup right fielder on the Yankees 25-man roster.

If he is in fact Xavier Nady, we can all thank Michael J. Fox for Glover’s increased confidence.

By knocking out bully and Back to the Future nemesis Biff Tannen, Glover (McFly) got the woman of his dreams.

Glover’s newfound confidence and swagger led him to the baseball diamond, where he now felt untouchable.

The days of swinging through breaking balls and cowering away from hard fastballs had finally ceased to exist.

Glover could now realize his full potential, eventually being drafted by the San Diego Padres in the second round of the MLB draft.

He clawed his way into the Padres lineup in 2003, and the rest is history.

Though obviously intended to generate a few laughs and poke fun at Nady, I certainly would love to have a No. 22 Yankee jersey with “McFly” written across the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Member of Boxxet Network, inc ThrillOf (Sports)